Sunday, February 5, 2017

New Year, New Digs!


Hi everyone!

My new apartment building!
Sorry for my long silence, it’s been a crazy month! I hope everyone’s 2017 has gotten off to a great start! I finished 2016 and began 2017 intensely searching for my own apartment. My plan from the very beginning of my stay in Senegal was to be with my amazing host family only until the end of the year, so my room was taken starting the 5th of January!
I’d been apartment hunting since early December, but had run into quite a few dead ends. I was looking for a one-bedroom that was not a studio. I wanted to have a room separate from the living room so that when I have guests we’re not on top of each other. Apparently this type of apartment isn’t very common. I almost caved in and got a two-bedroom, but at the last minute the agent got wind of a one-bedroom next door to the two-bedroom I was looking at… They showed it to me, but very briefly seeing as it was still lived in. I could tell, even in its messy/dirty state, that it was exactly what I was looking for!
Unfurnished and not-so-clean, but I'll take it!
I’m so glad I stuck it out and pushed for exactly what I was looking for. The rent was well within my budget as well, so that was definitely a bonus! My rent is 200k fcfa a month, which is a little under $350! This price was because it was not furnished, which was fine with me because I felt that I would be able to furnish it for much less than what it would have cost me to rent a furnished apartment (which would have been $1,000 a month).

It was the 30th of December when I found that apartment, but the people who were still living in it were in the process of moving across the hall to the two-bedroom apartment. They said the place would be empty and I could start furnishing it on the 3rd… which made for a pretty tight schedule seeing as I had to vacate my room on the 4th. They did offer to sell me the dining table with chairs and their living room set, which worked out well for all parties. Otherwise, my first priority was to get the basic essentials I would need to be able to move in, meaning a bed, a fridge, and a stove.
New furnishings
 My host mom has “a guy” at the Marché Tillène (the main home goods market in Dakar) from whom she’s been buying all her household appliances for the past 15 years or so and she was gracious enough to go with me on the evening of the 3rd. It was amazing! She’s a great bargainer; the guy would give her a price and she would just cut it in half and then go up a little. I got a bed frame and mattress, pillows and sheets, fridge with surge protector, gas stovetop/oven with everything to hook it up including a full gas can, fan, and a mirror, all with delivery for about $750. I picked up the keys to the apartment at 4:30, we got to the market at about 5:30pm, had everything delivered and were home for dinner at about 8:30. The next morning I was back at the apartment by 9am to meet the guys who were going to install everything (provided by the guy I bought all the stuff from!) before I had to work at 1pm.

My new place is a 10 minute walk from my host family, so Colleen came and helped me move my stuff over. We just did a couple of trips with my suitcases/bags. We got all the stuff moved over in time for me to head to work. After our last trip, Colleen and I were in my new bedroom and I was talking about how much I needed a broom and a mop so I could clean up a bit (the previous occupants did not value cleanliness as much as I would have hoped, so the state of the apartment was not the greatest). I was lamenting that I wasn’t even sure where I could go to get such supplies (not like there’s a Target or Walmart around the corner) when Colleen looked out my window and literally saw a bundle of brooms/mops/trash cans walking by my apartment, as if conjured by my complaining. I ran out to stop the guy and bought everything I needed (mop with bucket, broom, handheld broom with dustpan, and two trashcans!). It was great!

My courtyard/patio set
After work, I had a final dinner with my host family before heading back for my first night in my apartment. The next day I Decided to get wicker furniture from the guy on the main road who makes it right there... keeps the money local and such and it’s not like I need super long-lasting furniture for a 7-month stay. I walked over and bought an armoire for my clothes, shelves for the kitchen, and ordered a cabinet for my entryway that I would pick up a week later, since he had to make it. When I went back to pick that one up, I also bought a patio set for my little outdoor courtyard.
The market
Over the weekend, Arame went with me to the market to get some of the smaller stuff I would need, including everything for the kitchen, buckets for showers and laundry (no hot running water or washing machine), and some other odds and ends.
It was all quite an adventure and now I’m nicely settled in to my new digs. My host mom was a little worried about me being on my own, but once she saw the place she felt better because it’s on a small side road and there are a lot of guards in this area. We have one for our building, there’s one that literally sits next to my window (for the building next door) and one that sits directly across the one-lane dirt road that my apartment is on. I am on the ground floor and there are bars on my windows. There’s a little corner store about 3 minutes from my door, and I’m still within walking distance of where I teach (although it’s a little farther). All in all, it was super stressful for about a week, but it was absolutely worth it. I still see my host family often, and it’s nice to be in my own place! I have a couch and a guest bathroom, so if anyone wants to come for a visit, my door is always open. And I have good coffee...
Bonus of being in my own place: I can put my percolator to good use!

No comments:

Post a Comment